Sunday, June 19, 2016

It's in the little things

Today was such a beautiful day here in Belgium! After weeks of rain, we could use some sunbeams. I enjoyed it by taking a walk and reading a book on a bench in the park. As I felt the wind going through my hair and the sun warming my face, I felt so peaceful and happy. Everything about that moment was absolutely perfect. I felt grateful. Grateful for the nice and warm sun, for the nice book, for my health, for my wealth, for my great family and friends and for my amazing boyfriend. 

I believe we all should build in little moments to appreciate what we have. I think nowadays the focus is too much on what we don't have. It doesn't make people any happier. A couple of weeks ago I read an interview with a 80-year old woman who said that in her younger years, all people cared about was how to put food on the table every day. The poor families of now are still richer than the poor families of then. Nowadays, we have so much and yet we are not happy. We always want more and bigger. Life became a competition of having the biggest house, the biggest car on the driveway, the highest position in the company. But at what price? Burn-out rates have never been higher. Therapists have waiting lists. More than 60% of marriages turns out in divorce again. We are never happy with what we have.

It made me think. I had to admit that in the past I was more materialistic than I am now. It is something that also my boyfriend thaught me. He is not a man of expensive gifts or jewellery and he absolutely hates bouquets of flowers. He thinks they are useless. In the past, I liked to be pampered with gifts from my boyfriends. But now, I prefer to have experiences rather than gifts. For Christmas last year, the boyfriend and I went on a 2-day journey to the spa. Just relax and enjoy quality time together. It was perfect. I wouldn't have wished for anything else.

My ex used to buy me flowers a lot, and I can't say that I didn't like it. But afterwards, when I found out he cheated on me for the entire relationship, I hated the flowers. It felt like he was trying to buy my love or forgiveness. Don't give me presents. Give me loyalty, honesty, real love. Appreciate me for all that I am, with all my perfect imperfections. If the grass seems greener on the other side, you should worry about watering and fertilizing your own grass.

And remember: it is in the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution!
Your reaction is waiting to be moderated.