Sunday, July 3, 2016

How to distract yourself from overthinking

For people with separation anxiety, one of the hardest things to do after saying goodbye to your lover is probably keeping your mind quiet. You feel uncomfortable, like there is something wrong. A piece of the puzzle is missing. Restless. You have to keep moving, to stop the brain from overthinking and making you feel sad. There is nothing to be sad about, your rational self knows that, but yet you still feel all alone again. 

For me personally, this is one of the hardest aspects of the separation anxiety. After me and my boyfriend say goodbye, it is hard to come home to an empty appartment where only 15 min before we were still cuddling on the couch. I really have to hold back my tears at these moments. At this point, I think you have 2 options: drown in self-pity or try to find a way to distract yourself.

I have to admit: the times that I drowned in self-pity were also there. It was winter, it was cold(er) or rainy outside or I was on my period. Or worse, a combination of all the above. But ok, crying can also relieve feelings so just let it happen. It's ok.

Today, when my boyfriend left I didn't want to feel sad. In 10 days we leave for Bulgaria on a holiday, so there was plenty to look forward to! I decided to take a walk into the city. The sun was shining, the weather was nice and the summer sales had started. Today was also a shopping sunday wich meant that all the clothing and shoe shops were opened. Hurray! 2 hours, 1 bikini top, a Mac bronzer and some other stuff later, I arrived home. Alone. No. I will not feel sad. I started to put away the stuff I also bought in the supermarket for my dinner tonight. After that, I read a bit in a book.
Around 6, I was pretty hungry so I started preparing dinner. Rice with chicken and sweet-sour sauce.
My go-to meal on sunday when all shops except for Spar are closed in Hasselt. Whilst enjoying my dinner I read a bit more. 15 min later I was done eating. Ok, now what? It's only 18.45, I have an entire evening to fill.

I looked outside, to the blue sky. Unfortunately the weather had not been on our side today, so the boyfriend and I went pooling. We both won 1 game and I had a great time. We laughed with each others stupidity (although, have to say that I 'scored' 5 balls in a row!). Anyway. I felt the need to go outside again, to prevent myself from sobbing on the couch for the rest of the evening. So I thought: let's go skating! I changed clothes, took a bottle of water, my earplugs and my iPad and off I went.

I drove to Stokrooie, and parked my car near the canal. After strapping on my skates and protection, I was ready to go. Rolling on the concrete, wind in my hear and the sun kissing my face. Perfect. Exactly what I needed. Exercice and relaxation at the same time. After about 15 min of skating I was starting to feel tired. My condition is not what it was before, that is for sure! But ok, Rome was also not built on 1 day. I sat down on a bench, took a sip of water and took out my iPad to continue reading. Reading, next to the canal, sun on my head. I'm telling you: if this isn't distracting, then what is?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution!
Your reaction is waiting to be moderated.